Sunday, January 6, 2013

E-book Formatting Tips

I am gearing up to format Star Cursed and thought I would post my quick list of helpful reminders that I compiled to make it easier for me to format for Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords.com. I get asked a lot about this so I thought I would post. I hope it helps. Plus Smashwords.com has a free book that is great when formatting: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52



When formatting for e-book
   
  • ·                      Always use Next Page and not page breaks. Go up to Page Layout, Breaks, Next Page (under breaks)!

  • ·          Never use tabs. If you do then you will have to delete them later and format it again.

  • ·         Always use the Paragraph set up and fill in the Special and click First line, By 0.5 . Don't fill in other fields. 

  • ·         Table of contents will be different for Smashwords than for the Kindle and Nook. You can do it the smashwords way and it will work on Kindle and Nook, but not the other way around.

  • ·         Never simply hit the enter button for an extra space in the document, like for separating a chapter title from the chapter body. Always hit Shift and Enter, together.
Hope this was helpful! Happy Formatting to you all!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley! How are you doing? I'm so excited for you and can't wait for Star Cursed! I already put my request in for it at the library so I can be the first one to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I need to come see you guys at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very helpful. What software do you use in converting to ebook? I've tried using InDesign for formatting then convert it later on. Can you suggest a much easier way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just used Microsoft office word. I only use InDesign for my paperbacks. I usually do all the formatting minus the TOC for the ebooks and then I download that into InDesign and mess with if from there for the book. Hope this helped. Smashwords give a free ebook out with formatting tips.

    ReplyDelete